Monday, March 5, 2012

The $6000 Chiropractor

There is a trend in Chiropractic that is, in my opinion, wrong. I have had patients that have moved out of the area and asked me "how do I find a chiropractor that's good?" My usual answer is to ask around and if a doctor's name keeps popping up, and he's been in practice for over 10 years, he's likely pretty good.

I've learned that there are more questions to ask than just that.

Every month, we get new patients that were told that they needed to see the doctor 50-70 times for $6000. That's six grand paid up front. They're in our office because their gut instinct told them that something was wrong with that other doctor.

Here's the truth behind the $6000 chiropractor. They learned a "script" or a pre-written speech to say to each patient in an effort to try to sell them tons of visits for insane amounts of money. They learn this in weekend seminars...kind of a "how to get rich" type of program.

You can usually tell who these doctors are: They're very charismatic, almost as charming as a hot-shot real estate agent. They take x-rays and will explain to you the severe findings on the x-rays (usually a loss of curve- most common in the neck). Without their special one-of-a-kind therapies, your spine will likely crumble. Then the money transaction: normally $7200, but if you pay today, it'll only be $6000.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

So if you need to find a chiropractor, keep your gut instincts about you, and keep your credit card safe. If they take x-rays and emphasize curves in your neck, require excessive amount of treatment for your condition, and want you to pay insane amounts of money upfront, then find someone else. These doctors are using their authority inappropriately and I think it's wrong.

We obviously don't do this.

P.S. This is not exclusive to chiropractic. I've changed dentists in the past because within 6 months it became apparent that my dentist and his staff became experts in teeth whitening. I was given the "script" each visit how doctor XYZ was now an expert in teeth whitening and how I can schedule next time for his program.

No comments: