Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What I do on my off time


My kids got to see dad race in Goleta recently. They had a good time. They’re favorite part was going out to lunch. This was a type of race where we go around a set course, so every 3-5 minutes my family got to see how I was doing in the race. Unlike a road race where you take off and are never seen again for 1 ½ hours, or a time trial where it’s as exciting to watch as grass growing, this type of race was more fun for the kids to see.

For those that asked, I did okay. The race seemed to be pretty crazy in that everyone was taking different lines through the turns and it seemed pretty chaotic. After every turn, it was a mad dash to speed up and try to get in front. I would be in the top 10 position and suddenly after a turn if I wasn’t watching it, I would be in 40th place! So I would make an effort to improve my position and within a couple of laps I was back in the top 10. This went on during the entire race.

The pace wasn’t that bad. By the end, the average speed was 24 mph. There were times when we were doing 27-28 mph. It seemed so effortless due to the fact that the majority of the time I was drafting. I told Lisa before the race that my game plan was to find the biggest dude in the race and draft him. It worked half the time.

Some riders were taking some interesting risks by riding in the street gutter to improve their position and I would get boxed out at times, but after the next turn be able to get back. Some riders were weaving side to side a lot, so I tried to stay in front of them rather than behind them. My other tactic was to come home with all my skin too.

With about 5 laps to go, I thought to myself that I probably didn’t want to be next to anyone during a sprint for safety reasons. Also, I’m not exactly a sprinter. For some odd ball reason the whole group just kind of slowed down. Since I was in a good position and I felt pretty good (because I had been drafting for the last 25 minutes) I decided to try to win by taking off. I stood up and just pedaled as hard as I could, hoping that I could hold it for the remaining laps.

Well, it didn’t work. I was in the lead for only one lap.

The group increased their speed, caught me and passed right passed me.

It was a blast though being out in front for a while, having my kids cheer for me.

Now if I can only increase my muscular endurance for just 4 laps…

No comments: